• linkedin

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Auckland like?

Auckland is a clean, spacious city of around one million people, located between two natural harbours. There are beautiful parks, beaches, bush walks and islands. There is also an exciting city life, with restaurants, shops and entertainment. Auckland is considered to be one of the world’s nicest places to live.

What is the weather like in Auckland?

Auckland has a mild climate, with four seasons and no snow. Spring (Sep to Nov) is 10-22° C; Summer (Dec to Feb) is 14-26° C; Autumn (Mar to May) is 12-24° C; and Winter (Jun to Aug) is 7-16° C. Rain can fall at any time of year.


What is Crown like?

Crown is a friendly school and our staff are very kind and caring. We take a personal interest in you – we want you to be happy and we want you to enjoy your stay in New Zealand. Crown is one of the largest and most reputable schools in New Zealand. Crown English has about 100-200 students and Crown Institute has about 200-300 students. For over forty years we have trained thousands of students from many countries.

Is Crown a quality school?

Yes. Established in 1972, Crown is considered to be one of the best schools in New Zealand. Some courses are funded by the NZ Government Ministry of Education and Crown is approved to teach courses from IATA/UFTAA, ATTTO and City and Guilds International. Crown is an official test centre for TOEIC and IATA/UFTAA.

What are Crown’s objectives and values?

We aim to offer our students the best quality and value in English language, business, travel and tourism and hospitality training, and we believe in honesty, integrity and respect for our students and staff.

Is Crown different from other schools?

Yes, we have two streams of English language – general and premium (EnglishPLUS and EnglishPRO). Each stream has many course options. We also offer working holiday, volunteer, vocational, internship, business, travel and tourism and hospitality studies. If you have Intermediate level English, it is easy to extend or transfer from your English studies to take these courses. You can meet New Zealand students at Crown as most of our vocational students are New Zealanders. Some of our courses lead directly on to university. With good grades at Crown, you can earn a degree in less time.

Where is Crown located?

Crown is located on five levels of a modern building at 80 Anzac Avenue. It’s just a few minutes walk from the city centre, with transportation, exciting cafes, shops, movie theatres and entertainment.

How large is Crown?

Crown is one of the largest and most reputable schools in New Zealand. Crown English has about 100-200 students and Crown Institute has about 200-300 students. Over forty years we have trained thousands of students from many countries.

Where do Crown’s students come from?

Many different countries! At any time, students from 10 -15 countries are studying with us. Crown Institute also has many New Zealand students, so you have the chance to meet real “kiwis”. 

What are the school’s teachers like?

Crown’s teachers are all qualified professionals, and they are also kind and friendly. They come from New Zealand, as well as from some other English-speaking countries.

What are Crown’s facilities like?

As well as many spacious classrooms, Crown has a computer room, free internet and email, free wireless access, a multi-media self-study room with DVDs, computers, CD-ROMs and audio. There are also movies, newspapers, books, magazines and self-study packs for all levels and skill areas. The study lounge has an extensive library and ample computers (all with free internet and email access). There is a student lounge with a lovely outdoor terrace. The Crown career centre, aircraft training facility, hotel check-in and Southern Cross Travel Agency training areas are all located in the building.

Can I use my laptop to access my email and internet at Crown?

Yes, Crown offers free Wi-Fi broadband internet access in many parts of our building. There is no additional charge for this service.

What will happen on my first morning at Crown English?

Your homestay family will help you come to school on your first day. You should arrive at Crown around 8.45 am. You will need to bring paper and pens, your passport (we will copy some pages and return it to you) and also NZD 50 for your text btextbookit. Please pay this at Student Services (Level 3, 80 Anzac Avenue) after your placement test. This is refunded when you return your text book in good condition at the end of your course. At 9.00 am you should be in the Self Access Centre (Level 2, 80 Anzac Avenue) where you will sit a simple test so that we can place you in the right class. After coffee, you will take a tour around the school to meet our staff and see the facilities. Your counsellor will explain important points to you in your own language and you will sign documents indicating that you understand our policies. You will also need to show that you have adequate travel and medical insurance for your stay.

What if the other students are better than me?

After you sit your placement test on your first morning at Crown, we will put you in a class that is just right. The other students in your class will all be at your level. We have many different classes, from Beginner to Advanced. We also have regular tests to make sure that you always continue at the correct level, even as your English improves.

How many students will there be in my class?

Crown’s General English (EnglishPLUS) classes have an average of 14 students in a class, with a maximum of 18. Crown’s EnglishPRO classes have an average of 10 students in a class, with a maximum of 12. Crown’s business, travel and hospitality classes have an average of 20-24 students in a class.

Is Crown closed for public holidays and for Christmas holidays??

Yes. Crown is closed on the following dates in 2017: Public holidays: 30 Jan (Auckland Anniversary Day), 6 Feb (Waitangi Day), 14 Apr (Easter Friday), 17 Apr (Easter Monday), 25 Apr (Anzac Day), 5 Jun (Queen’s Birthday), 23 Oct (Labour Day). There will also be no classes 25 Dec 2017 to 5 Jan 2018 as this covers the Christmas - New Year period that includes the following four public holidays: 25-26 Dec (Christmas holidays), 1-2 Jan (New Year). Students on vocational courses have additional study and holiday breaks. Please see the course information for details. There are no refunds for short study weeks.

I may want to take a break during my course. Is this possible?

Yes. If your attendance has been good, you can take authorised breaks or holidays from your General English course. You can usually take up to 2 weeks holiday for each 12 weeks of your course. We will extend your course accordingly.

Is it easy to make friends at Crown?

Yes, Crown is a great place to make friends. Crown has students from many countries, and many of these students enrol for long-term courses. The new friends you meet at Crown will often be there with you for quite a long time. We also have a range of activities and social events which will help you meet new people.

What if I wish to extend my studies at Crown?

By the end of your course, you may not want to leave, and we are happy if you wish to extend your stay. You can extend your studies by contacting your Crown retailer or representative, or by advising us directly. Crown can also help process your visa extension.

Can Crown help me extend or change my visa?

Crown is authorised by the New Zealand government to process certain visa applications. We can extend your student visa, or change your visa status from “visitor” to “student”. Please make sure that you process any changes with us before your current visa expires.

What activities does Crown offer?

  1. Afternoon activity course: If you enrol on an Intensive EnglishPLUS course you can choose the Activities afternoon option. This course has activities each afternoon (Monday-Thursday) from 1:15 – 3:30 pm.
  2. After-school activities: There are usually activities on Monday-Thursday after classes finish for the day at 3:30 pm.
  3. Friday afternoon activities: There are usually optional activities every Friday afternoon.
  4. Weekend activities: We organise regular weekend trips for our students. These go to exciting places like the Coromandel, Rotorua, Taupo and the Bay of Islands. There are beach trips in summer and skiing trips in winter.
  5. Parties: We arrange evening parties every couple of months – a great way to make new friends.

Activities include sports (tennis, golf, ten-pin bowling, beach, bush walking, ice skating, scuba diving, rollerblading, kayaking, horse-riding), sightseeing, restaurant and pub visits, bone carving, painting and other arts and crafts, shopping, visits to attractions in and around Auckland (Sky Tower, cinema, art gallery, gardens, parks, museums, zoo, aquarium) and many others. All activities are optional.

You can see a list of the activities each month on the “News” section of our website.

How much do the activities cost?

The afternoon activity option costs an extra NZD 80 per week. After-school activities cost up to NZD 50 each. Friday afternoon activities range from just a few dollars for transportation up to NZD 80-90 for more expensive activities like horse riding. Weekend activities can involve one or two nights away from Auckland and may cost up to NZD 110-310.

What other costs will there be?

Tuition, resource, registration and accommodation fees are listed on the back cover of this brochure. If you wish to buy your lunch at the Crown cafe, the cost will be around NZD 7-10. There are many reasonably-priced cafes within five minutes walk of the school.You will usually travel to the school by bus. Bus fares vary according to your distance from the school. You can expect to pay up to around NZD 50.00 per week for the bus with a weekly 10-trip bus pass. If you are studying on a longer course, you can get a monthly bus pass to travel all around Auckland for around NZD 180 per month.

Can I continue my studies at Crown after I have finished my English course?

Yes. If your English reaches Intermediate level (IELTS 5.0 or TOEIC 550) or above, you can take home more than just an English qualification. Many of our vocational, internship, business, travel and tourism and hospitality courses give you recognised national and international qualifications – your pathway to career success!

Can I get university credits for my Crown qualifications?

Yes. Many institutions offer credits for Crown qualifications. With your Crown Diploma, you will often be able to save up to one year study time for your university degree. Please ask us for further details. We can refer you to degree-level study at Auckland University of Technology, Massey University, the University of Auckland and other tertiary institutions.

There are many other schools in New Zealand. Why should I choose Crown?

Crown is one of the largest schools in New Zealand. This means that we have many different course levels and options. You will have more variety in your studies and your classmates will be at the same level as you are. * Crown has both general and premium English course streams. You can choose to study at a normal pace (EnglishPLUS) or you can study harder and achieve your goals more quickly (EnglishPRO). * Crown attracts many long-term students, compared with most other schools. The friends you meet at Crown will often stay with you for quite a long time. * Crown’s minimum age is 18 years. You will not have to study with children in the school, or in your class. * Crown only accepts individual enrolments. You will not have to study with large tour groups who come to the school for just a few weeks. All of our students enrol as individuals, just like you. * Crown offers further study options in an internship, business, travel and tourism and hospitality, where you can meet and study with students from New Zealand. We can also refer you on to university study, often with course credits. * Crown has a very good welfare support system with counsellors who can help you in your own language.

 I can’t speak English very well! Who can help me?

Don’t worry! We have friendly counsellors here at Crown who can assist you! Their job is to make sure that you are happy during your stay with us. If you wish to get information about Crown in your own language, you can contact your counsellor by email at the address below. If your country is not listed here, please contact us at english@crown.ac.nz


Staff member


Arabic Mr Fahad ALGHETAMI fahad@crown.ac.nz
Ms Kim ONG
Ms Rachel KIM
Ms Kim ONG
Ms Kim ONG
Ms Katrerina BOYARKINA
Ms Kallayanee (Pla) CHANTRA
Ms Kim ONG
Ms Kallayanee (Pla) CHANTRA
Ms Quynh (Queenie) HA

I wish to go on to study for a degree in New Zealand. Can Crown help me?

Yes. Crown works with several universities and we can help to place you in their programmes after you complete your Crown Diploma or Unilink programme. You can receive university credits for your Crown papers, which can save you time in completing your degree. Please contact the international offices of our partner institutions directly, or ask Crown for more details.

Oracle Bldg, Level 2
56 Wakefield Street
Ph (9) 921-9637 Fax (9) 921-9925
Email international.centre@aut.ac.nz
Web www.aut.ac.nz

Albany Campus
Private Bag 102-904,
NSMC Auckland
Ph (9) 414-0800
Fax (9) 414-0810
Email contact@massey.ac.nz
Web www.massey.ac.nz

Old Choral Hall,
7 Symonds St
Private Bag 92019
Ph (9) 373-7513
Fax (9) 373-7405
Email international@auckland.ac.nz
Web www.auckland.ac.nz

I have been accepted at university but I still have a long time left to study at Crown. Can I transfer my fees to university?

If you are accepted on a degree course at one of our partner institutions you may be able to transfer some of your unused Crown fees to that institution. Please ask Crown for full conditions applying to transfer of fees to university.

 I am under 18 years of age. Can I study at Crown?

We do not accept young students. You must be at least 18 years old at the date of starting your course. However, Crown recommends that students under this age contact one of the members of our federation, English New Zealand. Details of all member schools can be found at www.englishnewzealand.co.nz

I wish to study away from a big city. Can Crown help me?

Yes. Crown works closely with a partner school in the South Island. This school is ideal for students seeking a change from big city life. Crown can enrol you directly into this schools. We will transfer your fees and help with your travel and accommodation arrangements.

Our partner school is Nelson English Centre (NEC). This is a medium-sized school, with an average roll of 50-100 students. It is located in downtown Nelson, in the northern part of the South Island. It specialises in general English and Cambridge examination courses. It has a good academic reputation and has a very high percentage of European students in all months except June and July. Nelson (pop 50,000) is a small seaside city in the sunshine and wine province of Malborough-Nelson, near Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand’s most popular National Park. Nelson is known for its relaxed, friendly lifestyle and it is an arts and crafts centre. It has a multi-screen cinema, and lovely restaurants and cafes. Beautiful beaches and bush walks are close to the city.

189 Hardy Street
PO Box 1217
Ph (3) 548-2255      Fax (3) 548-2261

How do I enrol at Crown?

You should enrol through one of our authorised representatives or educational consultants. They provide an excellent service and they can be found in many countries. They can help you with your enrolment, visa processing, flight details and many other useful services.You can find out about our representatives from an online search, study abroad guides, your newspaper or from friends who have studied at Crown. If you do not have a Crown retailer, please visit the Crown Retailers section of our website as we list some of our leading retailers here: http://www.crown.ac.nz/internationalstudents/crown-retailers/ Please ask Crown for details of our representatives in your area if you have trouble finding one.

I have some more questions about Crown. Who can help me?

Please ask your Crown retailer for help. Or you can email a friendly Crown counsellor (please see section 3 above). You will find our school contact details on the back of our Enrolment Form. We are here to help you and we welcome your enquiries!

What will happen at the Airport?

Before you arrive in Auckland, your representative will send us your flight arrival information. We will meet you at the airport. When you arrive at Auckland airport, you collect your baggage and go through Passport and Customs checks. When you come out of the Customs area, look right in front of you for a person holding a sign with your name on it. Our staff member or host family will be there to meet you. We will then take you to your homestay, where you can rest after your trip. Our airport transfer to or from your homestay costs NZD 90 each way. For emergency assistance at the airport please call Student Welfare Manager Ms Cathy Kelly: 0274-879-448.


What accommodation options does Crown offer?

Crown offers several accommodation options. You can book these before you come to New Zealand.
HOMESTAY: You will have your own comfortable room, with a bed, linen and towels, your own desk and a reading light. You will also have a closet or wardrobe to hang up your clothes. Homestays offer breakfast and dinner each day, plus lunch on the weekend. Laundry facilities are available in all homes. Most Crown homestays are within a convenient distance from the school. You will usually travel by bus into Auckland city from your homestay, and the travel time will usually be 30-45 minutes. The bus stop is located a short distance from the school. On your first morning at Crown, your homestay family will bring you to school to show you the way.
HOMESTAYPLUS: You will have all of the accommodation and meal facilities as provided for our regular homestay service above. In addition, this service offers two or more of the following: * Convenient location: Your homestay will be located within one of Auckland’s inner suburbs, closer to Crown. This means that your travel time to and from the school will be shorter. * Private facilities: You will have your own private bathroom facilities. * Internet: You will have a dedicated internet connection in your bedroom (the connection is free, and you have around 5GB each month for your use. A computer is not provided, but you will be able to plug in your laptop. * Additional conversation and support from your family. Please note that HomestayPLUS is often in high demand. You should book at least 8 weeks before your course start date. We regret if, occasionally, this service is not available.

I am an older student (age 40+). Which accommodation options are suitable for me?

Our regular homestay option is not usually available for older students. Unless otherwise agreed by the school, you will use either HomestayPLUS, YMCA or Empire studios or apartments. We have a great selection of HomestayPLUS homes with families carefully selected for our older students. We can also assist you to find your own accommodation if you are on a longer course.

What if I don’t like my host family?

When you first arrive in Auckland, your Crown counsellor will call you and welcome you to New Zealand. Please mention any concerns to them. It is normal for you to feel a little nervous when you first live with a family in another country. We can usually solve any concerns you have about your homestay. And we can find you another homestay at no extra charge if you really do wish to move.

What if I have a special request – for food, children, pets or health reasons?

We will do our best to meet your needs, but we are not able to guarantee this. Please send your booking as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Please make sure you complete all sections of the enrolment form which relate to your accommodation.

I want to travel with my husband, wife or partner, or a child. How much does homestay cost in these cases?

If you wish to stay in the same room as another adult, each person pays the normal weekly homestay fee. Children under 13 years of age at date of starting the homestay pay NZD 150 per week for homestay or NZD 210 per week for HomestayPLUS. Please note that if you wish to book a homestay for two or more people, you must give us as much notice as possible. It may be difficult to meet special homestay requests if your booking is delayed or late.

What if I wish to take a holiday during my course? Can I leave my homestay for a short time and return?

Yes. You can leave your homestay for a short time if you need to return to your home country or take a holiday. A holiday from your home stay must be for a minimum of seven nights. To reserve your room while you are away, you must pay a reservation fee of NZD 20 per night (homestay) or NZD 30 per night (HomestayPLUS). You can then safely leave your belongings in your room while you are away. You must give Crown two weeks written notice of your intention to take a holiday from your homestay.

Can I stay longer with my homestay (before or after I finish my course)?

You should plan to arrive a few days before your course begins. You are welcome to stay with your host family from your arrival date to a few days after your course ends. However, if you wish to stay in Auckland for a longer time (either before or after your course), you should plan to find other accommodation for this time.

Can I move out of my homestay into other accommodation?

If you decide to move out of your homestay you must complete a form to let us know this. You should do this at least two weeks before you want to leave your homestay. Please see your counsellor or our Student Welfare Manager. After you have left your homestay we will be able to refund any unused homestay fees to you. If you later wish to move back into a homestay you will need to pay the accommodation reservation fee (NZD 200) again.


Crown offers modern student accommodation at City Lodge and Empire Apartments. Both are non-smoking inside. City Lodge has an environmental sustainability policy. Bookings are subject to availability.

Cnr Pitt & Vincent Street
21 Whitaker Place
Distance from Crown

25 minutes walk
15 minutes walk
Building facilities
Laundry, games room,24-hour reception,dining area with TV & DVD player, kitchenette, lounge with SKY TV, library, Wi-Fi (charges vary).
Restaurant, café, laundry
Furnished studio 1 room with bathroom
Electricity, bed linen, Sky TV, kitchen equipment, weekly clean, electricity
Furnished apartment
Single bed, closet, storage space, desk, mini-fridge. All linens are included and changed once a week. Daily vacuum Mon-Thu, deep clean available for NZD25. Purchase cutlery from reception. Shared bathroom & kitchen facilities.
3 bedrooms. As for above (studio). Facilities shared between bedrooms
Bond (to cover damage). This is refunded to a NZ bank account or by cheque 2 weeks after you leave
 Short-term students (under 4 weeks) NZD150 & must provide credit card details. Long-term students (over 4 weeks) NZD150. This is refunded on departure (if no damage).
NZD400 Refunded on departure, less NZD100 for cleaning fee.

Can I use the internet in my studio or apartment?

You can connect to the phone or internet in your room. There is a connection fee and a monthly fee for this service. Internet fees are changing frequently in New Zealand; please check at the time of your reservation for the latest fees. There are also internet facilities available 24 hours at YMCA in the common areas. There is a small hourly fee for this service.

How do I pay for my studio or apartment?

Crown will invoice you for the number of weeks you reserve, and you pay this along with the rest of your Crown fees. Please note that we must receive all of your accommodation fees before you can move into your studio or apartment.

What if I want to extend my stay at my studio or apartment after I arrive?

Please ask the student services team at Crown for help with any accommodation extensions. We will be happy to confirm these with the apartment. Extensions will always be subject to availability of space. You should confirm your plans as soon as possible.

I am with my husband / wife / partner / children. Are studios and apartments suitable for a family?

Studios are only suitable for one person. 1 bedroom apartments can accommodate two people, in two single beds. Beds can be moved together inside the apartment. 3 bedroom apartments can accommodate three people. Prices are either per room or per person; please see the fee list for details. Please ask Crown for information on other family accommodation.

Do I have to sign a lease agreement for my studio or apartment?

Yes. When you arrive you will need to sign a standard rental agreement which sets out your responsibilities. However, there are no documents to sign until you move in. We will reserve your accommodation before you arrive in Auckland.

What if I want to leave my studio or apartment early after I have moved in? Can I get a refund for unused accommodation?

When you move into your studio or apartment, you contract to stay for the FULL period that you reserve. If you decide to leave before the reservation period has ended eg if you find other accommodation, THERE IS NO REFUND FOR UNUSED ACCOMMODATION. Please make your reservation ONLY for the period you expect to stay for. Please consider insurance to cover unused accommodation in case you have to leave and return early to your home country.

What if I cancel my reservation at my studio or apartment before I move in? Are there any cancellation charges?

In this case there are no cancellation charges. However, your accommodation placement fee will not be refunded.

Can I book my studio or apartment directly with YMCA or Empire? Do I have to book through Crown?

You are welcome to book your accommodation directly (email addresses above). In this case there will be no Crown charges.

What other accommodation options can Crown offer?

If you are taking a long course, you may wish to find your own accommodation. If you do wish to move out of your homestay, you must give the school at least two weeks notice of moving. We will then refund all of your remaining homestay fees. There are hostels, backpackers’ lodges, hotels and shared accommodation available. We can help you to arrange these. Please ask the school for details on how you can reserve different types of accommodation.Accommodation cost depends on location and quality, but ranges from about NZD 150 per week to NZD 500+ per week. We advise you to spend at least four weeks in homestay before moving to other accommodation.

Crown Institute of Studies has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website at www.minedu.govt.nz/international. IMMIGRATION Full details of immigration requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying and reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand and can be viewed on their website at www.immigration.govt.nz. ELIGIBILITY FOR HEALTH SERVICES Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at www.moh.govt.nz. ACCIDENT INSURANCE The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at www.acc.co.nz. MEDICAL AND TRAVEL INSURANCE International students (including group students) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

Industry Partners:
  • NC Master With Type Silver-239
  • AJ Hackett Logos With Tagline FINAL-08-172
  • thumbnail Ramada by Wyndham-115
  • thumbnail logo (1)-580
  • Logo national-668
0800 357 316
80 Anzac Avenue
Auckland City 1010
New Zealand